Pre-departure check list
In preparation for your studies in Australia you will need to check these details prior to your departure:
- Passport & Visa – Your passport must valid for 6 months from the day you arrive in Australia and you must have all of your up-to-date visa documentation.
- Student Documents – Your student information pack and electronic Confirmation of Enrolment (eCoE) from ANU College
- Health Cover & Insurance – Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) is a requirement for entry in to Australia though you should also consider travel insurance for things not covered by the OSHC.
- Packing and Airport Customs – Ensure you are aware of what items you cannot bring into Australia and make sure you do not pack them in either your hand-held or your check-in luggage. For added safety ensure you have packed your own bags and that they are kept with you at all times.
- Airport Transfer – Regardless of whether you arrange to be picked up from the airport or use public transport make sure that you have all of the information about your accommodation prepared.
What to Bring
Students are often surprised by how strict Australian Customs Services and quarantine can be. If you're in doubt about whether your goods are prohibited or not, declare it anyway on the Incoming Passenger Card which you will receive on the plane. Students have received on the spot fines for not declaring items. Explanatory information can be found on the Department of Home Affairs site: Arriving into Australia.
For your information, please also read:
• What items can't I bring into Australia?
• Bringing or mailing goods to Australia?
Baggage allowances flying into Australia will vary according to your carrier, flight class and country of origin. Please check with your carrier prior to departure. Economy passengers are generally permitted 1 x checked luggage (20kg) and 1 x carry-on (7kg) for international flights. This will significantly limit the amount of things you can bring, especially if you will fly within Australia to get to your final destination. Therefore, it is essential to think the packing process through very carefully. You will be able to purchase most things upon arrival in Australia but the price may be higher than in your own country.
How Much Money to Bring
You will need to make sure you have enough funds to support you when you first arrive. It is recommended that you have approximately AU$2500 to AU$3000 available for the first two to three weeks to pay for temporary accommodation and transport. You should bring most of this money as either Traveller’s Cheques or on an international credit card. Traveller’s cheques can be cashed at any bank or currency exchange in Australia.
Please note that it is not safe to bring large sums of cash with you! Lost credit cards or traveller’s cheques can be replaced, but very few travel insurance companies will replace lost or stolen cash. Do not ask someone you have just met to handle your cash for you or to take your cash to make payments for you. Not even someone who may indicate they are studying at the same education institution.
On ANU College campus, students usually dress informally. Jeans or slacks with T-shirts or blouses, sneakers or “running shoes” are almost standard dress. Shorts are often worn during the summer months and sandals are the most common footwear. It is acceptable for both men and women to wear shorts and T-shirts. This is common during the hotter months.
Other items You Might Need to Include (most can be bought in Australia).
- laptop or tablet devices
- Bath towels, bed sheets, pillow cases
- Sewing Kit
- Sporting Equipment
- Your optical prescription
- Scientific or graphics calculator
- Photos of friends and family
- Reminders of home
- Spare glasses or contact lenses
The standard voltage for electrical items in Australia is 240V. Electric plugs have three flat pins one of which is an earth pin. You may need to buy an adaptor or have the plugs changed when you arrive. Note: In the picture, the red dot indicates that the switch is on and power is flowing through that socket.
More pre-arrival information
Download the pre-arrival pack