What is the ANU Access Program?
ANU Access Program is a ten-week intensive course with a strong focus on academic English designed to equip international students with the academic skills and knowledge required to transition successfully to postgraduate and undergraduate courses at The Australian National University.
Who is this course for?
Designed for international students looking to study abroad in Australia, the ANU Access Program is specifically aimed at students who want a shorter, more direct route to studying their degree abroad. If you already possess strong academic skills and a good level of English, you may be the right kind of candidate for this program.
Why study the Access Program?
The Access Program is designed for students who want a direct route to study at ANU. If you are keen to improve your academic and English abilities ahead of your studies in Australia, then studying this program could be right for you. By studying the Access Program at ANU College, you can:
- settle into studying in a new country, with a pre-built, multicultural support network on campus
- prepare for success in your chosen area of undergraduate or postgraduate study
- develop your English language skills so you are confident to learn in the language
- learn how to adjust to the teaching and learning styles required at ANU
- directly progress to a degree of your choice at one of Australia's top universities.
Aims and Objectives
The broad aims of this course are to help students to use English in an academic context and to develop the study skills needed for university studies. The ANU Access Program course also aims to assist students in understanding and adjusting to the teaching and learning styles appropriate to the Australian university context and in acquiring the skills and confidence to become independent learners.
ANU Access Program consists of 20 hours per week of face-to-face classroom instruction, with 12 hours per week allocated to Reading/Writing components and 8 hours per week to Listening/Speaking components. In the ANU Access Program course, students can expect to improve their:
- Research and critical thinking skills.
- Academic reading and writing skills, including how to write an Annotated Bibliography and an academic essay.
- Listening and note-taking skills, including how to make notes in lectures.
- Presentation, discussion and teamwork skills, including how to deliver an oral presentation, how to participate in tutorial discussions and how to work on group projects.
Based on published IELTS/TOEFL (or other recognised standardised English tests). Please refer to https://www.anucollege.edu.au/apply/anu-college-entry-requirements
Compulsory online and/or work-based training, other community-based learning, collaborative research training arrangements
Quizzes, discussion, presentation, in-class writing assessments, final essay, listening test
Supporting students under 18
Learning material and practices are contextualised to meet the individual needs of the learning taking into account the age and maturity of the student.
Mode of study
Full time, on campus
Please note: While COVID border restrictions apply this course will be delivered online in virtual classroom mode.
On completion, a Certificate of Completion will be issued.
To directly enrol in the course, students must have an overall IELTS Band Score of 6.0 with a minimum Band Score of 5.5 in each skill. Students who successfully complete the Academic English Preparation (AEP) programme level 4 are also eligible to enrol in the course. For more information on the AEP progression requirements, visit Academic English Preparation (AEP).
ANU Access Program provides direct entry to The Australian National University. To progress successfully to the ANU, students must achieve an overall grade of 60% and above.
ANU Access Program. CRICOS Course Code: 080015G.
Provider: Study Group Australia Pty Limited trading as ANU College