Extended University English Course
ANU College offers a one-semester award course in Academic English for international graduate students enrolling in a university program. All prospective students must have prior approval from their program advisor before commencing the course.
- General academic English in which students not only improve English language skills, but also learn about Australian academic standards in terms of critical thinking, referencing, and plagiarism
- Specific English requirements from the students' own study areas, enabling to better cope with the language particular to their own courses of study.
Both the Essential and Extended University English courses are taught together, but postgraduate students undertaking the Extended program are assessed at a more advanced and rigorous level than undergraduates completing the Essential English course.
Multiple skills gained
The introduction of authentic texts into the classes, combined with an emphasis on learning to communicate through interaction in, and with English, means that successful students can expect to significantly enhance their:
- Essay/academic writing, presentation and tutorial skills
- Understanding of referencing and plagiarism protocols
- Abilities to think critically and present confidently.