Essential University English Course
ANU College offers a one-semester award course in Academic English for international students enrolling in a university program. The course focuses on 2 learning objectives:
- General academic English in which students not only improve English language skills, but also learn about Australian academic standards in terms of critical thinking, referencing, and plagiarism
- Specific English requirements from the students' own study areas, enabling to better cope with the language particular to their own courses of study.
Multiple skills gained
The introduction of authentic texts into the classes, combined with an emphasis on learning to communicate through interaction in, and with English, means that successful students can graduate with:
- Increased report/essay writing, and oral presentation skills
- A higher-level of academic English language skills in speaking, listening, reading and writing
- An improved understanding of Australian academic culture.